Monday, February 29, 2016

Five Things No One Tells You About Labor & Delivery


If you're like me when you encounter something new you try to obtain as much information on it as possible so you can be prepared. While knowing all there is to know may freak some people out, it comforts me to know that what I'm experiencing is normal and natural. That said, I was more than annoyed to find out that a lot of things that NO ONE spoke about happened to me and lots of other women. So instead of keeping these to myself, I've decided to share my information with you. 

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor. This is not medical advice. I am simply sharing my experience and what I've gleaned to be normal from conversation with other mothers.


1. You may not realize that your contractions have started

My contractions started in my sleep. They initially felt like a stomach cramp and they were a few days before my due date. They didn't wake me up but it wasn't until I used the bathroom and saw the beginnings of my plug did I realize that they weren't random cramps but actually contractions.

2.  Contractions Can Start and Stop for Days

In the days before I delivered I was admitted to the hospital twice. My contractions had started and progressed normally and then completely stopped all of a sudden. I was prepped for labour and everything and then sent home. Afterwards I was told it's a pretty common thing. We found using an App made it easier to time them.

3. The Pain May Actually Be Bearable. The Duration May Not

I say this tongue in cheek. Everyone's threshold is different so bearable is extremely relative. That said if you are having your first baby, expect your contraction to last 6-8 hours - at least that's what I read in a book. My experience was that they lasted for about 36 hours - my mother had a similar experience with her first child so I half-expected the long wait. What I didn't expect was that when it came time to push that I would be so exhausted!

4. Your Lady-Princess Gets A LOT of Visitors 

If you're taking a long time to dilate pretty much everyone is going to want to check you every few minutes. And by check I mean the finger test -the nurses, the mid-wives, the doctor. 

Yup... I'll just leave that here

5. You May Not Be 100%...For a Long Time or You May Snap Back Right Away

I was surprised to find out that you don't just have your baby and go home in a couple hours. In fact, most persons overnight for observation purposes. Your body goes through a ridiculous amount of stress in the birthing process. Your blood pressure, your organs, your heart all need to be stabilized before you can even think of standing up. Your hormones can go all over the place and even if you didn't do a C-section you may have to be on bed-rest for a couple of days.
This is in addition to your nether regions healing. It's very important for you to be comfortable and happy with the after-care you and your baby are to receive after the birth because you will want gentle, kind, patient persons who will answer all your questions without making you feel silly.
You may not be able to sit up, you may not be able to lift your legs, you may not be able to use the bathroom on your own. It's very important to be patient with your body as it recovers. Put things in place so you can focus on your new babe and yourself.
If you do snap back right away enjoy the new journey!

*til lata
Jane


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and Questions welcome here! No Foul Language please!