We all know it, it pays to be prepared especially on those days when just about everything is going wrong. After a particularly fail-worthy day at the office I created a checklist in my head of things I should keep in my desk at my office for those days when it is absolutely impractical to go home. I've divided the list into two sections - Essentials and Add-Ons. If I've left off something be sure to let me know and I can add it to the list. Here We go:
- Chargers : Because duh... you don't want your phone or your tablet to die. This is your only way of contacting the outside world, and is the 'essentialest' of essentials
- Hygiene Kit: This is a small pouch and should include toothpaste and toothbrush, deodorant, and a small rag. If you are a lady, include a few panty liners & sanitary napkins. Some persons also carry an extra pair of underwear but I don't feel too comfortable having panties in my drawer at work but to each his own.
- First Aid Kit: because accidents happen and nobody wants to touch your blood. #justsaying;
- Sewing Kit : You don't actually have to know how to sew. This can include things like dressmaker's tape to easily fix a loose hem; safety pins for broken zippers and extra buttons if you do know how to sew;
- Light Snacks: If you get hangry, please spare your co-workers and keep something in your desk to reach for when the day runs longer than you think it will;
- Headphones: not everyone shares your taste in music and they shouldn't be subjected to old school whatever it is that keeps you awake;
- Lint roller: unless you like it when that cute co-worker tries to brush off your fuzzies. (Naughty naughty!)
- Handheld Mirror & Brush : If you play with your hair, you may want to take a look at it before you get up from your desk to report to your boss;
- Umbrella : cuz rain...duh
- Extra pair of shoes: Your heel could break, the sole could come off, you could have tracked through mud to get into the office or you could want a break from your heels. Please do not bring flip flops - flats are always a better more professional option - you aren't at home.
What do you need to have at work to function properly? Leave me a comment and let me know!