Sunday, July 21, 2013

Review: Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream

BB creams - supposedly the perfect compromise between skin care and makeup, there has been a big buzz about them this summer. They promise fresh faced makeup that provides moisture and sun protection while visibly blurring imperfections.   


Now, I am very skeptical about anything that promises to be a multi-tasker, and even more skeptical about any product that promises not to be cakey in this Caribbean heat BUT after seeing all the raves in the Youtube community I decided to do some of my own research. A few of the complaints were that the cream didn't provide full coverage and that they didn't have lasting power and I must admit that this seems to be true - at least for the more affordable ones. So if you are looking for something that works as well as your foundation, a BB cream is not your answer. That said if you want something that feels like you're wearing nothing but still evens out your skin tone and moisturizes, then a BB cream should be in your collection. 

Let's get into the review shall we?


Packaging:

 
 The packaging borders on very simple. It comes in a flatter squeeze tube that's more ergonomic to getting all the product out. It's 1.0 Fl oz which is plenty for at least six weeks worth. The packaging is pretty sturdy, I've hunked it around in my bag, left it my car and dropped it dozens of time and it hasn't exploded on me or curdled up on the inside. In Jamaican heat I consider that to be an excellent feat. It's not super pretty but the light coloured packaging makes it easy to spot in your makeup bag. I got it in 'Deep'.

Pricing:
I picked this up for around $800 at Discount Pharmacy in Manor Park but I have also seen this for as high as $1300. As a replacement for a foundation though I would consider this pretty affordable. Thanks to the bff for spotting this and letting me know.

Application:
Again, this is not full coverage, the package even describes it as a 'sheer tint'. When applying you need to shake the product up (with the lid on) really well and then squeeze a pearl sized amount onto clean fingers and apply as you would your moisturizer. Be sure to blend with your fingers along your hairline and jaw line because once it sets it stays pretty well put. The product is the perfect middle line between runny and goopy and blends pretty much like a dream (ha-ha dream fresh!) . Though it is sheer it is pretty buildable too so that if you want more coverage in one area you can always reapply another layer without worrying that it looks too cake-y.

Durability:
This can last all day for sure if you spend most of your time indoors. If you are out in the sun I would say max 6 hours before it starts to fade. If you want it to last longer use gel moisturizer instead of cream or skip it completely. It can get a little glow-y throughout the day but I don't mind a glow-y look. If you're on the oilier side or if you like the matte look then dusting some powder over it will solve the problem. I've noticed that if I use my MAC MSF natural over this I can make this last for almost ten hours.

Results
This thankfully did not break me out and I really liked that I didn't have to do that extra step of applying sunscreen. It evened out my complexion pretty well and the colour wasn't too red or orange. It doesn't have any distinct smell that pissed me off throughout the day and it literally felt like I wasn't wearing anything on my face. All in all, I loved it and I will be repurchasing this as soon as it runs out. 

Have you tried this yet? What did you think of it?

Comments give me a happy!

Till later,
**Jane


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and Questions welcome here! No Foul Language please!